Sunday, May 24, 2009

A rose by any other name

I know I should be thinking about my current novel, not the next one. But that would make this blog way too dull. So to liven things up around here, I'm going to hold a vote to look for a suitable name for my new hero.

He's a European prince who has lived in the States for several years. He's fun and easy-going and adventurous. Now he has to give up his nice life of freedom to return to his duties in the principality, which lies between France, Germany and Switzerland, so names that suit any of those cultures are ideal.

I love the name Sebastian, but used it for the hero of an erotic short story I wrote last year, and though the characters are poles apart, I'd like this one to stand alone. Anyone have any thoughts?

Here are the options up for vote:
A - Sebastian
B - Christian
C - Tristan
D - Fredrik (Rick)
E - Nicholas (Nick)
F - Any other suggestions?

And this is the inspiration for my prince...

9 comments:

  1. Ann - I hadn't thought of that. I like it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I quite like Fredrik. What about Felix?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm, I like Nick. And I do have a fondness for Christian. But that's just me. Nice inspiration by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Only one that grabs me is Sebastian but I'd change it to the French spelling Sebastien. But I'd have to agree with Ann - love, love, love Max! Max just always sounds so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh and how could I forget! Love, love, love Heath Ledger! So sad he's not with us any more! What a delicious man he was!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I vote Christian.

    Agree with Amanda about Heath Ledger - 10 Things I Hate About You is one of my favourite films ever.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Romy, based on the info you've provided about your hero, I'd go with Fredrik. There something gallant and old-fashioned about it that fits a European royal. And I'd take out the c in the short version (Rik).

    What's the rest of his name?

    ReplyDelete