A recent blog post by Michelle Styles over at Pink Heart Society on creating effective resolutions got me thinking though. Turns out I've been doing all the right things - I just called mine a Five Year Plan. I'm now embarking on Year Three of the plan to publication. Every six months or so I re-evaluate these to make them a little more achievable, but even knowing I trimmed the goals along the way, I'm happy with what I've achieved this past year.
My updated aims in 2009 were to complete the Playboy Duke's Reluctant Bride (check), submit PDRB to the RNA's New Writers' Scheme (check), write a second short story set in the 1920s (check - though I have one chapter yet to complete), enter the Presents Contest (check) and complete an entire novel during Nanowrimo (check). Even the one thing on my list which was outside my power to control (seeing Let's Misbehave published) is on the brink of being checked off.
These are monumental achievements considering writing still has to play second fiddle in my life to the day job and the family, and even more monumental if I look back on where I was this time last year. Last year I had two completed manuscripts and an understanding of how awful they were, and two form rejections under my belt. This year I face the future with a Harlequin editor who wants to work with me and my first publication imminent.
As for 2010? I'm sure these will be amended as the year progresses, but I'm going to take a leap and make this year's aims public:
- Enter the South African Essentials / Mills & Boon short story contest (and hopefully final)
- Write an entire new story by February and send off a polished partial no later than March.
- Polish said story to within an inch of its life, possibly with the help of the NWS.
- Write at least one further 1920s short story.
- See Let's Misbehave and An Innocent Abroad published.
- Write another full-length manuscript between April and November.
- Attend the RNA's conference in Greenwich.
- Write another 50,000 word novel during Nanowrimo.
What are your goals for 2010?
Best wishes to everyone for the new year. May this be the year all our dreams come true.