Thursday, January 27, 2011

With This Fling

If you haven’t already read my Kelly Hunter fan girl moment, you can find it here.

Misbehaving with the Magnate was the first book of Kelly’s I read. It was a fun read and remains on my keeper shelf, but it was her Bennett series that turned me into her biggest fan.

Kelly just seems to go from strength to strength, with each book better than the last. Her latest, With This Fling (a launch title for Mills & Boon’s new Riva imprint) is without a doubt my favourite so far. You can read the blurb, and find out how the book was inspired, over at the Minxes blog.

There was a lot to love about With This Fling: a fast-paced story-line, sparkly banter, a to-die-for hero, and a lovely setting. But for me the best thing about this novel was the heroine. Kelly Hunter has an amazing ability to write heroines who are completely original and utterly engaging.

Charlotte Featherstone is quirky, self-assured, socially skilled, intelligent and just a little ditsy. I often identify with the heroines in novels, but it’s not often I want to BE her.

Though With This Fling is fun and flirty, fulfilling the promise of the line, it also has poignant moments. My eyes were very wet when I read the scene involving a contact card. You’ll have to read the story to find out why.

8 comments:

  1. I loved this book, too, Romy. Been a Kelly Hunter fan since her very first - Wife For A Week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your tweet caught my eye. I have newly discovered Kelly Hunter after reading Red Hot Renegade because I was drawn by the setting and interracial relationship. Wow!! Super-hot and really well drawn characters - angsty, but realistic. Not your normal romance broody types. I had to get Luke's story right away and I suppose I'll just read the Bennetts in reverse order now. :)

    I'll have to give With This Fling a go too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally agree with you, Romy. This book was a real breath of fresh air. That Kelly Hunter is GOOD.

    X

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kelly is AWESOME! I haven't yet read a Kelly Hunter I haven't loved. Like Fiona Harper... she had me from Wife For A Week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Kelly's books too! And I love the RIVA look as well. Caroline x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I read the two linked books last summer (the vineyard ones, I think one was RITA nominated) but can't remember the titles. They were the first of Kelly Hunter's that I'd read but they were utterly fab.

    With This Fling is another one of those teetering on my tbr--it can be my 'end of editing' treat ... along with Jessica Hart's new one and Maisey's new one that I picked up at the supermarket the other day ... so many great writers so little time!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm a HUGE Kelly Hunter fan too and would you believe Misbehaving with the Magnate was my first book too :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for this review, Romy. I haven't read this yet, but will remedy that as soon as I can.

    XX

    ReplyDelete