Monday, January 9, 2012

My own little stairway to heaven

A couple of days before Christmas I spotted a painting in the window of a picture frame shop that really intrigued me. The painting showed a wide stairway between buildings in what looked like Paris. Half way up the stairs curved, disappearing out of sight, and in the curve stood a doorway.

Hours afterwards I was still thinking about that painting, so I phoned the store to ask for the artist's name - and was told the owner had already collected the painting, and they knew nothing.

So I hit Google. I still haven't found that particular picture, but I found dozens of others along the way, and finally uncovered why I'm so attracted to doors and stairways. It's their potential.

Anything could lie behind that door or at the top of the stairs. They suggest possibilities, but leave those possibilities up to our imaginations.

The idea so enthralled me that I've decided that each month on this blog I'm going to post a picture of a door or a stairway, and I'm going to ask you to tell me what you think lies beyond the door. Where is this? Who lives here? Why? And what is their story?

Starting right now with this one, from artist David Villec.


13 comments:

  1. Hi Romy. I'm totally with you on the doorway thing. I took a lovely photo in Mykonos, Greece of a hidden doorway. Wish I could show you. Perhaps I'll email it to you. Lovely post by the way. Louise

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE that idea!
    Such a great picture too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fabulous idea, Romy! I hope you can track down your painting.

    Now, that door... it looks to me like it has the feminine touch, so i'm going with a lady. She's happy on her own, serene after a rough time with her ex husband. I think she has adopted a couple of stray kitties, and sometimes she sits on those steps in the evening with a cool glass of wine and thinks how lucky she is.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Terrific post. Love this post, Romy!! Such a beautiful photo.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ohhh, Romy! I love the idea of the lady sitting there on the steps with her cats! Because of the flowers we say it has a feminine touch.

    It could also be a girl who is lonely living alone as no one wants her because she turns to an ogre at night? Lol, can you tell I've been watching re-runs of Shrek every day with my three yr old grand daughter?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't come across these sorts of paintings before but I love the concept. You really do wonder about what could be beyond the door. Thanks, Romy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Louise - thanks for stopping by. If you like, send me the image and I'll feature it some time. I loved Mykonos but I seem to have taken very few photos there!

    Jennifer &Melissa - thanks for leaving comments. Any ideas yet on who you think might live here?

    Jo P - I like your idea. Especially the bit about the glass of wine. I hope it's one bottled locally, and she cycles to the vineyard to stock up.

    Nas - LOL! My daughters are into Barbie at the moment. They don't tend to turn green very often.

    Lacey - there are so many paintings I love that I'd have to live in a mansion to have enough wall space for them all. Sadly, I don't, so I have to blog instead.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Adding my two cents ... following on from Jo P's idea, I think this woman is still young (maybe it's all those stairs!).

    I think she's from somewhere else and she's given up a career in the big city to pursue her dream of being an artist.

    Anyone else want to carry on the story?

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a cool idea. I envisioned a little old lady (good point about those stairs though) who likes everything pretty and just so. I pictured her doing the crossword wearing a Chanel suit and putting on her white gloves to shop for groceries.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's a great idea Libby! I especially love the little touch of the white gloves. I can see her so clearly.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's great idea you have, Romy. I look forward to these painting/photo inspirations.

    Empi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Empi. I look forward to seeing you around here. Love your new book cover too, by the way!

      Delete
  12. I agree its a great idea although this particular picture isn't speaking to me right now. Who knows, maybe the next one will.

    ReplyDelete