Thursday, February 2, 2012

The joys of the day job

Those who've known me a while might be wondering what I've been smoking to title my blog post about "the joys" of the day job. Because anyone who knows me knows that I would love nothing more than to give up the day job to become a full-time writer.

But I'm growing to appreciate there are a lot of aspects (more than just the pay check!) that make this job worth doing. Most days I work at a desk in a bright office, with an always-on, pretty decent internet connection. I can't (or don't) write on day job time, but I do get the benefit of quiet periods in the office when I can keep up with emails, do research, or write blog posts.

And then there are those days when I get to leave the office. Days when we do film shoots or recces, and I get to visit unusual places. Yes, many of those days also involve 4am wake-up calls, since directors invariably love the light at sunrise and want to be up and shooting the moment the sun hits the horizon. But then there are days like yesterday.


Spending a delightful summer's afternoon on the back of a game viewing vehicle being driven around a private game farm, and calling it work.

I still want to be a full-time writer, but in the spirit of The Secret, I'm learning to appreciate what I have. What do you appreciate most about the life you're currently living, or are you already living your dream?

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad you had a nice day, Romy...
    What I appreciate in my day job is pretty much everything except the fact that it takes me away from writing. I work for a very good value-based company, have a wonderful boss who's very understanding and the company policy itself makes room for the fact that we all have lives outside work. So, as long as I get my work done on time and with efficiency, thy don't count every minute as I've seen a lot of companies where my friends work do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment, Sri. It sounds like you work for a gem of a company. So pleased it's working for you!

    ReplyDelete