Thursday, June 14, 2012

Midnight in Paris

I’m not a big fan of Woody Allen movies. As in, there is no amount of money you could pay me to make me sit through Annie Hall a second time. That said, after enough people had recommended Midnight in Paris to me, I gave in and watched it.

I can’t tell you what a thrilling experience this film was! Maybe the three glasses of wine and stressful work week that preceded it may have influenced my feelings, but ... wow!


The film was made in 2011, and is the story of present day author Gil, in Paris with his girlfriend when he accidentally stumbles back into the past, into the Golden Age of Paris in the 1920s. Since I'm a writer, and I write stories set in the 20s, I've had a lot of people tell me I have to see this movie.

The moment when Gil walks into a club and gets chatting to a vivacious young woman from Alabama, my skin prickled.Zelda and Scott Fitzgerald ... Cole Porter .... Josephine Baker ... Salvador Dali ... Ernest Hemingway ... they’re all there in a cast of characters so inspiring I forgot to finish my third glass of wine!

This movie is not going to win any awards for great character arcs or story, and it doesn't explore any new depths or reveal any great truths, but it was a sweet, predictable love story with a fun "Spot the 20s celebrity" element.

Thank you to everyone who recommended this film! I really owe you. It has just become my absolute favourite movie of all time set in the 20s.

No comments:

Post a Comment