Thursday, July 12, 2012

My UK trip so far

My UK jaunt started with a pub lunch with the London chapter of the RNA, followed by three days of sitting around chatting, drinking tea and watching telly - see my post earlier this week on the Minxes blog.

Chapter leader Jean Fullerton arranging the next get-together

Pia Fenton, who celebrated her newest release by bringing along chocolates and champagne

 Then late on Monday I moved to Bishops Stortford on the Essex / Hertfordshire border to spend a few days with my oldest friend (not oldest in age, but in how long I’ve known her).

The highlights of the week so far, apart from more chatting and more tea, was a visit to Audley End (the house itself was closed, so we wandered the gardens, servants’ wing and stables) and a day out in London featuring afternoon tea at Fortnum & Mason, cocktails at Duke’s Hotel, and ending with blisters and Les Miserables.

Front facade of Audley End

The Jacobean stables at Audley End

The clandestine Pond Garden, which sparked a new 1920s story for me ...

Tomorrow I take the train up to Penrith and the real reason I’ve travelled half way round the world: the RNA Conference. More on Monday.

5 comments:

  1. Audley End looks gorgeous. Hope you have a lovely time, looking forward to hearing about the conference. :0)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great to have your updates, Romy. Have a super time and keep us posted. I am a total Pia fan - not only a fab writer but lovely person too. Please give her my best (if she remembers me!)Travel safe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Romy now the green eyed monster is coming out! How beautiful! Hope you took lots of pictures you can share with me when you get back!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope you are enjoying the conference Romy only sorry I couldn't be there this time!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Romy, I've visted Audley End too. I would say it is one of England's finest country houses. I'm also planning for my second UK trip on next month :)

    ReplyDelete