Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Confessions, Fantasies and Books

I have a confession to make: Instead of writing in every spare moment these past few months, I've been doing a LOT of reading. And I haven't even been reading the line or even the genre I'm targeting (like a good girl would), nor have I been catching up on all my friends' books in my teetering TBR pile. No, what I've been indulging in is the entire series of Sookie Stackhouse novels by Charlaine Harris.

The book that started it all...
These are the novels on which the True Blood series is based, and though I enjoyed the series, let me tell you... the books are way better!

The books are whodunit-type murder mysteries which just happen to be set in an alternate universe (known to fans as Sookieverse) peopled by a whole lot more than just vampires. They're Southern Gothic at its best, very easy reads, and un-put-downable.

I love the dollops of chick lit wit thrown in, one-liners like "These ladies knew how to throw a search party." and "Maybe he needed the bodyguards to protect him from the fashion police."
Sookie Stackhouse

And there are many laugh out loud lines like: "I remembered my New Year’s Eve resolution: I wanted not to get beaten up. Note to self: I should have included 'shot'."

But the best thing about these books? The heroes. The reader's as spoilt for choice as Sookie is, with enough fantasy material to keep you drooling long after you've turned the last page.

Can it get better? Apparently, yes it can. I've been told Ms Harris' Grave series is a real treat. So if you don't see me around for a while ... you know where I am.

1 comment:

  1. Ah! you remembered about the Grave series! I've only read a couple of the Sookie Stackhouse books, then got all caught up in TB, think I know what I'll be splurging on next!
    I want to be Charlaine Harris when I grow up...

    ReplyDelete