Saturday, June 29, 2013

I need your help

Everyone loves a reformed bad boy, right? The man the heroine's mother always warned her about. The man the heroine herself would rather have nothing to do with, but of course she still falls for him.

So why am I struggling to come up with movie examples of rom-coms where the bad boy is reformed through the love of the right woman? It really shouldn't be so hard!

So far I've come up with the following examples:
  • Johnny Castle in Dirty Dancing. The bad boy who turns out not to be so bad after all.
  • Matthew McConaughey in How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days. The heartless womaniser who finds the one woman he wants to settle down with.
  • Flynn Rider in Disney's Tangled.
  • Edward Cullen in Twilight.
But there must be more, and this is where I need your help. Can you suggest any other movies with a bad boy hero?

PS: This is serious research, I promise, not just an excuse to indulge a bad boy fetish!

6 comments:

  1. '10 Things I Hate About You'? It's less that he's reformed and more that he's misunderstood...

    'Secretary'? A little more out there, but she does eventually melt his cold Dom heart.

    Evidently I mostly watch angsty, artsy, opposite-of-rom-com because those are the only ones coming to mind!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Van Wilder, but I'm sure that's more of a comedy. Still, the misunderstood bad boy player gets the girl in the end. It's a good one for character development. And okay, the lead's hot!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Flynn Rider has to be my favourite. Love him.

    I was going to say Danny in Grease, but I think he turned her into a bad girl rather than reforming himself.

    Oh, oh, oh - I know - Sky Masterson in Guys 'n' Dolls. Was there ever a man as swoonworthy as Marlon Brando in that film?

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a hard one, and I watch every rom-com I can get my grubby hands on. The only other ones I can think of that might fit are 10 Things I Hate About You or Groundhog Day?

    I<3Flynn Rider too :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not a Rom Con but Hans Solo in Star Wars or anything with Vin Diesel, just because it's Vin Diesel.

    Love, love, love Flynn Rider's, "Here comes the smoulder." Gets me every time. One day my daughters are going to figure out why I start to giggle every time that scene comes on screen.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for all the recommendations,ladies. Of course '10 Things'! I love that movie. I even think Shakespeare would have approved!

    Aimee - I haven't seen Van Wilder, so I'll check it out.

    Suz - greatcall on Marlon Brando. Yes, he wasdefinitely swoon-worthy back in the day!

    Alexia - Han Solo, of course! My first movie love ever! And just like my hero, we first meet him in a bar.

    ReplyDelete