Thursday, June 18, 2015

Report back on my trip to the UK - Part 2

My next big day in London, Donna (who has been my friend since we were the tender age of 3 years old) and I travelled back into London from Bishops Stortford. We wandered the area around Oxford Street, New Bond Street and Regent Street. While Donna shopped in Whole Foods, I made a phone call home to check on my father, who had been admitted to hospital earlier in the week.


Then while Donna attended a training seminar, I met with author and honorary Minx Zara Cox for tea at Fortnum & Mason. It was a really warm day and after climbing five storeys I was feeling hot and sweaty, so not exactly fitting the ultra-elegant interior, but it was a superb afternoon tea and we had a wonderful chat.



After braving the crowds in Hamleys and around Piccadilly Circus, I re-joined Donna in Leicester Square where we enjoyed a couple of glasses of Prosecco and people watching while the Minions arrived across the square for the premiere of their newest movie, to the screams of their adoring fans.

Our view of Leicester Square



We then hurried to the Victoria Apollo for Wicked, the musical. I love musicals, so I'm easily impressed, but I really enjoyed this show. This is the story behind the Wizard of Oz, of how Glinda the Good and Elphaba (the Wicked Witch of the West) became the characters we love and hate - and there are flying monkeys!


Tomorrow I'll post about the second half of my trip: the Minxy meet-up in Ireland.


No comments:

Post a Comment