Monday, June 20, 2016

Behind the Scenes of 'Not a Fairy Tale' - Venice Beach Setting

Over the next few weeks, as I attempt to subdue the anxious flutter in my stomach every time I think of attending the RWA conference and the RITA® Awards ceremony in San Diego in July, I'll be sharing some of the Behind the Scenes information of my Rita-nominated book, Not a Fairy Tale.

The next few posts will cover some of the magical settings of this novel.

Dom's House in Venice Beach

Stunt coordinator Dominic Kelly's house in Venice Beach, LA is the primary setting for the book. This is the place where two commitment-phobic people are forced to live in each other's space. It also gave me the perfect excuse to go house hunting in California!

Dom's house is a stone's throw from the beach, on a quiet walk street.

Image courtesy of airbnb.com 

The 1930s Craftsman bungalow surprises actress Nina Alexander by being homelier than she expected, note the typical bachelor pad she'd associated Dom with.

Image courtesy of Westside Luxe Living

Dom might not seem like much of a family man to the women he seduces, but he's part of a big extended family, the spoiled younger brother to four older sisters, with nieces and nephews who treat Uncle Dom's house like their home away from home.

The kitchen is the heart of the home, and I loved the stained glass touches.

Oops - attribution unknown (if this is yours, please let me know)


Nina's guest bedroom features a four poster bed, and a wall filled with posters of some of the films Dom has worked on in his lengthy career.

Image courtesy of http://atlantahomesmag.com

The garden even features a private sun trap patio where Nina loves to unwind after a hectic day of training with Dom.

Image courtesy of Bulldog Realtors



2 comments:

  1. Lovely settings Romy, and what a great idea to do this behind the scenes blog. Please do a behind the scenes at the RITA's as well when you get back. I'd love to read all about it. Fingers and toes crossed for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will most definitely post about the RWA conference (time allowing - I may be too busy enjoying everything the conference has to offer!) I will also be doing a session at the ROSA conference with feedback from RWA.

      Delete